Tuesday, January 30, 2018

andrew's 11th birthday


This is the only picture I have of Andrew before his heart surgery.  It is the only picture of him that exists before his tiny scar made an impression on that little chest forever.  It doesn't even seem real to me to see him without a scar, as it has just become a part of him.
I wanted to share this incredible self portrait Andrew drew in art class in 4th grade.  I think it amazingly captures him.  Along the sides are skylanders and figures that he loves and always has.  And the body shows the INSIDE of him, including his "special heart."
This brought tears to my eyes.  We've always called his heart special, and I think this is very telling for him to include in a self portrait.  All his life we have tried to teach him to be proud of his scar, and everything he's been through.  This simply proves that we succeeded.  I love it so much.
In other news... at school on Andrew's birthday his principal dropped by his classroom for a selfie.  He does this with all the kids and I think that's so awesome!
We brought in popcorn and M&Ms that sort of follows the healthy snack policy.

That night we had dinner with Ga Ga and Papa at Andrew's choice- Pizza Ranch!
The chicken legs are his favorite- he was so excited!
Then we came home and opened presents!
He loves these chain reaction toys!
And of course, a new Big Nate book.
Andrew loves his snorkel set from Christmas and when we go to pools he always wears them and puts his hand up by his back, pretending like he's a shark.  So I couldn't resist this!  Now he can strap on the fin and scare his sister!  Ha ha.  It might be meant for a smaller child, but let's face it, Andrew is still a kid at heart!
Reading his card from Papa
At Christmas Kerigan got a robe from Ga Ga.  Andrew was so sweet and thankful for all his gifts, but later after he had opened everything he quietly said to her "Ga Ga, someday I would like a robe too."  It was SO cute.  And of course the next day Ga Ga went and found him one for his birthday!  Ha ha.
I love how Belle gets so involved with gift opening!  Ha!
During P.E. at school the kids had been roller blading.  Andrew could not stop talking about it.  He loved it so much.  So he was thrilled when he got his very own pair of roller blades!
Next it was Kerigan's turn to give him her gift.
I just love his faces he made as he tore off the paper!
Everyone who knows Andrew knows he is obsessed with figures.  Skylanders, Ninja turtles, anything Disney, etc.... I could go on and on.  His latest is Ben 10.
He was so happy Kerigan knew just what he wanted!
He requested a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  Easy and done.
This was the first year he got to decorate his own cake with these little ninja action figures (because, what else?)
I made him a birthday cake sign and we were good to go.  Gone are the days of the fancy parties, and Pinterest decorations and cake.  And I'm perfectly fine with that.  Ha ha.
The birthday excitement is always there... Pinterest or not!
I love how he lets Kerigan be involved and that she loves celebrating Andrew's birthday as much as her own (well, almost!)
It was a perfect day celebrating our special 11 year old.
Now if only I could freeze time.


Related Posts with Thumbnails