Saturday, December 26, 2009

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!


That pretty much describes how our Christmas started out (although no Red Ryders were involved!)

Last Tuesday as I was frantically rushing around, trying to figure out what to pack, finish wrapping and baking and making sure I had everything crossed off my list as we decided to pack up a day early and head out to beat the storm... my little man decided to throw a wrench in the plans...

Whoever said getting ready to leave town was easy??
Andrew scared me to death when he was running around the house (big shocker) and slipped and fell into his toy bench.  Of course I was alone (Santa aka Daddy was out shopping!) and the blood wouldn't stop coming, so I drove him to urgent care, where we spent the next 2+ hours getting Andrew glued up (Santa met us there, thank goodness!)  We were a few drops of blood away from being shipped to the ER for sedation and stitches (because this was a trip to the doctor that Andrew did not find fun...they didn't even have suckers!)

Luckily they were able to get the bleeding to stop long enough to apply three layers of dermabond (glue) instead.  This was great timing I must say (just in time for Christmas pictures!)  So off to grandmother's house we went the next afternoon...I had planned to give the Santa thing one more try.  The mall in my mom's town is less crowded and rarely has lines for Santa, so I thought it might be calmer and Andrew would take to the big guy better.

Our experience turned out to be somewhat like Ralphie's experience in this movie...although Andrew was oblivious to the fact that his mama ended up getting yelled at by Santa and his elf!  Read on...

It started out like this:
 
Andrew had no intention of seeing Santa Claus (Daddy was thrilled too)... However, the pushy mama that I am (yes, I admit it), was insistent on at least trying (no one else was in line!)  So I edged towards the big guy and gave him "five," which immediately enticed Andrew to give it a try.
 
Santa reached out his arms and Andrew went right to him.  I couldn't believe it!  It was one of those moments I dreamed about...an actual picture of Andrew with Santa, one where he's not screaming!  (Last year's picture was him giving Santa "five"!  No way was he going any closer than that!)

But Santa's Elf was determined to rain on my parade...It was right about the time I finished snapping this photo that I got yelled at...

 Apparently, there was a sign I ignored about not taking personal photos beyond a certain point.  What!?  Let me just say that Santa picked the wrong mama!  As the elf busily equipped her camera for the supposed perfect shot of Santa and my kid, she missed about sixteen adorable shots of him, grinning up at Santa with such love.  I was fuming mad.  Standing there with my camera in hand, unable to use it, was such a helpless feeling (I know, I am exaggerating somewhat, but I am pretty sure steam was coming out of my ears!!)  I begged her to take a picture.  Pleaded for her to let me take one with mine while she was fumbling around.  (Can you feel the suspense??)


I was completely livid by this point.  I tried to focus on the fact that after what seemed like five minutes, Andrew is still content as can be, sitting on Santa's lap.  He was happy as a clam, unaware that his mama was ready to go off the deep end.


Turns out the elf did get an adorable "cheesy" grin from Andrew, but the picture (which we reluctantly shelled out $11 for) was cheaply printed and overexposed...


Of course I complained about the quality of the photograph, and got nowhere.  I stewed over this for the rest of the evening.  By morning I still wasn't over it (I know, it's the little things...) so my mom and I headed back to the mall customer service.  It's the principle of the thing here people! (Because I know some of you can't believe I went to this great length!) You just don't get by telling me I can't take pictures of my kid, especially when elf wasn't doing her job and taking them herself.  Come on, you gotta capture the moment!

So as most of you know, I don't like to follow the rules.   Especially when it involves missing moments like this.

And this. (Enough said!)

*In case you are wondering, these were taken from the proper spot with my zoom lens and enhanced with my wonderful iphoto program.  No, we didn't get our money back for the above "professional" photo, and yes, Andrew loved adored Santa Claus!  But I'm pretty sure I'm now on Santa's naughty list.

And we think the pictures turned out splendidly...eye gash and all!

As a side note...I am going to need to do several blog posts about our Christmas week, because I can't fit everything we did into one (or even two!) posts!  And it's still not over yet.  In fact, the reindeer dust is currently on the lawn and Santa's already left cookie crumbs by the fireplace.

More tomorrow...

4 comments:

Stefenie said...

Ha ha ha!! I almost titled my post the same thing since Wyatt got a BB gun for Christmas but something was telling me not to call it that. Must have known someone else had that title in mind too! LOL!!!

Yeah...Craig looked absolutely thrilled to be seeing Santa in that photo. Poor guy! Glad you got your own little adorable shots of Andrew with the big guy.

Can't wait to read the rest of your Christmas updates. I am sure you guys had a great time!

Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Jen, I TOTALLY understand the Santa obsession!!! I insisted that we take Derrick while we were in Charleston (b/c for some reason we'd waited until the 22nd?)...but we HAD to go! We stood in line for AT LEAST an hour to get a screaming picture w/ Santa. But we HAD to! Then when we got home I couldn't find the ($20) picture! I was about to lose it! I eventually found it, but was so panicked!

It's the little things...I totally understand! Great job on the pictures from the 'perfect' spot! Sometimes a mama's just gotta do what a mama's gotta do! :)

Big heart hugs and prayers!
Shannon

Slush said...

Hope Andrew's eye heals quickly! We've had lots of stitches and glue around here. Isn't it amazing how much they bleed?? It can be pretty scary!!

Loved the Santa shots and can't wait to hear about the rest of your Christmas adventures. Have a great holiday vacation!!

~ The Holdgrafers

Tracey Snyder said...

Ya got to love the Mall Santas! AGH! This is the first year we didn't do it at the mall! Last year though we had gotten what I call the Drunk Santa pic. Have you seen Bad Santa. This guy reminded me of the movie...Glad you were able to get your pics though! Way to be persistant!!

Always,
Tracey, Jeremy, Riley, Drew and Jordan Snyder
www.ForTheLoveOfMendingHearts.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails