Thursday, November 24, 2011

reflecting with thanks

Ok, so I've had my Christmas decorations up for weeks now.  The shopping and wrapping is almost done, and the baking is going to be done in a few days (and frozen for Christmas!)  It's no secret that visions of sugarplums are dancing in our heads... (well, mine and Andrew's anyway!)

But I certainly can't forget about today.  Sure, I consider myself thankful every single day throughout the year.  So why should today be any different?

For me, today is just a day to be reminded.  To remind myself of the blessings in my life, and reflect on the things I am continually thankful for.  Bring them into the light, if you will.


As I began reflecting on what I was thankful for, I quickly realized that the things that I am thankful for aren't things.  Sure I'm thankful I have a roof over my head and food on the table, but what I'm really thankful for are people.  People who I could not go through this life without...

God~
I'm grateful for God most of all.  Because it is Him, after all, who gave me these special people.
"We love because he first loved us." 1 John 4:19

My Husband~
There are many times a day that I think I would be so lost without him.  His job is so demanding that many nights the kids and I are alone, and also some weekends.  It is these times that I think to myself, how do single parents do it?  (But then in the same breath I say I feel like one sometimes!  Ha!)  But the way he makes up for being gone so much when we are all together is amazing.  He genuinely enjoys playing a game with Andrew, or holding Kerigan while she naps.  He plays "Mr. Mom" and gives me a break so I can go to Target alone, or sleep in on the weekends.  He truly would do anything for any one of us, and we all know it.  He is the very best daddy, and I am certain my kids would agree!


I am thankful for him not only because is a great father to our children and helps me immensely when it comes to taking care of them, but he is also my best friend.  The one I want to talk to when we both get home from work.  The one I miss when we are apart.  The one I love just hanging out with and doing simple things like watching our shows and eating treats, or laughing about something the kids are doing.  He's the best companion I could ever have hoped for.

I am so thankful for this day...

Thankful that God brought us together, and has kept us together through many ups and downs.
(one of my favorite pics from our honeymoon in Hawaii, overlooking the ocean.  I'll never forget this night.)

My children~

Oh my precious angels sent from above- where would the joy in my life be if it weren't for them?  It's no secret on this blog that neither of my children came easy for me.  Years of infertility treatments, painful injections, and drugs that did crazy things to my body... Yes, I did this twice!  And it was more than worth every.single.minute.  Many times I look at the kids and just think, how did they even get here?  How were we this blessed?  Is this really my life or just a perfect dream?  These precious little people were not here one day, and then one day they were.  I just don't see any other reason for it than the love of God.  He knew my heart and my longing to be a mother.  And He gave that to me.  And I'm oh so thankful.  
I'm also thankful that he gave me the honor of being a mommy to a very special little boy with a very special heart.
How can I not be thankful for this?  My precious little boy's heart fully repaired.  He's alive.  And he's as spunky as ever!
And that is just a miracle all in itself.

And my beautiful daughter.  She is my dream come true.  The little person I wanted for as long as I can remember.  My little real-life dolly!  It is as if I prayed for this perfect little girl, with a perfect heart and smiley personality...and God just dropped her right out of the sky and into my life.
I'm so glad He did.

My mom & dad~
Craig and I attended date night at our church last weekend.  The topic was family origin, and we were supposed to make connections with our past and how it affects our marriage and lives today.  It was quite interesting.  But the thing that really struck me was when we were asked to do a visualization technique.  We were supposed to picture our house growing up, and our bedroom.  Posters on the wall, everything.  (Yes, I was picturing my New Kids on the Block comforter and posters!  Ha!)  Anyway, we were supposed to think of the people who meant the most to us during that time in our lives, and write positive and negative attributes of those people.  The only people I pictured were my parents.  And the only attributes that came to mind were, loving, caring, giving, generous, thoughtful, funny, and making me feel important.  I could not think of a single negative attribute of either one of my parents.  There isn't one.  Sure, no one is perfect.  But they were (and are) perfect in my eyes.  They gave me a childhood full of wonderful memories and special moments that I will never forget.  But most of all, they gave me love.  Never a day went by that I didn't know I was loved, and that my parents were proud of who I was.  They told me.  Every single day.  Thankful doesn't even begin to describe it.

And while my dad is no longer with me on this Earth, not a day goes by I don't think of him, and smile when I see my children because I know that he is watching me be their mother.  And I know he's proud.

(One of my favorite pictures of dad and me, at an ISU football game)
I am so thankful for the relationship my mom and I have.  My mom just emulates beauty, both inside and out.  There has never been a moment in my life that she wasn't there for me.  And I think that is pretty amazing.  It is so incredible for me to see her be a grandmother to my children.  I'm pretty sure we couldn't make it without her!  Her help is so appreciated.  She is everything to me.

Thankful just doesn't seem like the right word to describe my feelings on this day.  I'm so beyond thankful that there just aren't any words that exist that could ever explain it.


That my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
Psalm 30:12


And someone is looking forward to the arrival of a certain Elf tonight...


Happy Thanksgiving!

Related Posts with Thumbnails