Friday, April 5, 2013

home

I had several titles for this post.  Changes...mixed emotions...bittersweet... moving forward.  I settled on this one because I think it encompasses the true meaning of God's direction for our lives.  We have to trust Him to guide us to the place He wants us to be.  Even if it isn't the place you thought you belonged.

My husband got a new job.

There, I just blurted it out.  The truth is, he's been looking for the right fit in his career for a long time now.  His dream was always to be a full-time Activities Director.  He has been an activities director for the last 6 years.  But this is different.  This is a 4A school as a full time administrator.  Up til now, he's been teaching and/or coaching at the same time.  He's supervised study halls, he's worked with "at risk" kids.  He's worn many hats.  But now he gets to do what he wants to do.  Full time.  To say it's his "dream come true" sounds so cliche, but it's true.

It's a dream come true.

Our family was invited to the board meeting when Craig was approved- and we made front page news!
In the Superintendent's office before the board meeting (and in case you were wondering, the school colors are blue and red!)

You might be wondering.... what's the catch?  It's not a huge catch, really.  We have to move.  Whew.  I said it.  It really hit me when this showed up in our yard this week...

I'm sure this would be no big deal for most people.  Moving is part of life, it happens to everyone.  But for me, moving means change.  And those of you who know me, know I'm not so good at change.  Moving across town is one thing, but we are talking about moving to a completely different town.  An hour away from where we live now.  Forty-five minutes away from my mom, the person who keeps me sane and gives me adult interaction so I have someone to entertain me the kids while Craig is gone so much.  No longer can she drop everything and be at our house in 20 minutes.  Maybe it's a sign that I need to put my "big girl" pants on and grow up a little bit.  Be on my own with the kids more than I have to be now.  But the truth is, I'll always need my mom. I know she'll still be there.  Just a few more miles away.

Then there's the selfish part of me that wants to stay put.  My whole life I've pretty much had everything I need at my fingertips.  Plenty of things to do, plenty of places to shop, and eat out (because let's face it, we all know I don't cook!)  I have to admit I love living in the suburb of a big metropolitan area, where I can take my kids to broadway shows and musicals downtown, or the Science Center and IMAX theater (Yes, we have all those things in Iowa!  Ha!)  Everything is convenient and within a 30 mile radius. 

This new job is in a town without a Target.  Seriously?  How am I going to live without Target?  I understand that many people do it.  And I know I will learn.  But let me tell you, there's going to be a big learning curve for me!  I'm not sure I know how to function in a place with no Target, and more limited access to things to do.  I think Craig is secretly loving this aspect... but I'm not sure he's thought about how much more internet shopping I can do!  Ha!

The reality is I am leaving my home.  The place I've called home for 30+ years (because seriously?  No one needs to know how old I am.  If I said 40- it doesn't sound as good!)  For me, home doesn't mean just our house.  The place we brought our babies home from the hospital.  The place we've created our family memories.

It's our surroundings.  It's everything I've just mentioned that I love about living where we do.  It's home to me.  This new place is a sweet little town full of wonderful people welcoming us with open arms.  There are parks, a beautiful new YMCA with an acquatic center... and they do have a Walmart.  And an Applebees.  It will be a great place to live, it's just... different.  It's a place that doesn't feel like home yet.  But after a few years, I am confident that it will.
Inside daddy's new school- in the gym, where daddy's office will be

And we will still be bringing our kids to shows and I will still enjoy the perks of city life... the city will just be a few more miles away.

Trying to keep a house ready to show with two small children is like pedaling uphill.  It consists of sweeping up crumbs from breakfast muffins 12 seconds after I just swept the floor.  It means picking up the same toy 342 times a day.  Keeping fingerprints off the tables... trying to keep the vacuum tracks intact.... beds made, laundry put away, dishes out of the sink.... to say it's exhausting is putting it mildly.  House hunting is also no small feat.  There's everything you could ever want or ask for...except for one or two details.  Each house has something I love...and something I don't love.  When will it all come together?

Then there's the kids to think about.  My sweet Andrew and his long list of needs.  He will no longer be working with the people we have known and loved for 6 years.  His doctors, teachers and friends.  How I worry so much about him being accepted for his differences.  In his world, his hearing aids and the scar running down his chest are just "normal" to those kids he's been with his whole life.  They just know him as Andrew.  The silly, sweet and funny little boy who loves to make people laugh.   I'm not sure I'm ready for the stares, the questions... starting all over.

But everyone says this is the best time to move with the kids being so young.  And again, I'm confident that his new friends will soon begin to overlook those things on the surface, and love Andrew for the special little boy that he is.  God has a plan for all of these changes... and I'm already praying for my children's future friends.  And somehow, the innocence of children allows them to be more accepting sometimes than adults are.  They do seem to have the ability to see beyond those differences, once their questions are answered.

For a long time we have all been in different districts.  All three of us.  My school, Craig's school and Andrew's school.  Never on the same schedule, not close together (all our days are spent in 3 different towns).  We need this change.  For a long time I've craved that "community" feel that we are lacking right now.  I miss being close to daddy's school and taking the kids there for lunch, or grabbing dinner and bringing it to a basketball game, or shooting hoops with daddy in the gym.  I miss knowing the people that Craig works with, and them knowing us and our kids.
The outside of the school gym, the icon of this town, uniquely named The Roundhouse.

With this move, we will not only have that opportunity again, but we have already become town "celebrities!"  Ha!  We are constantly getting phone calls, emails and letters in the mail inviting us to join churches, insurance offices, banks, offers to help with moving, etc.  One man even called Craig to tell him he'd sell us his house, even though it wasn't even for sale!  I told Craig it's going to be hard for me to go out and about in town now and not see someone I know (or at least someone who knows I am the Activities Director's wife!)  So I guess that means our kids will need some lessons in manners, and I will need to do more than throw on a fleece and no make up when I run to Walmart!  Ha!

The bottom line is, the time is now.  This opportunity presented itself in God's perfect timing.  And I haven't even gotten to the good part yet.  For me, it's the best part.  Because I get something out of this deal too...

I get more time.  Precious time with my children.  And for me, there's nothing more in the world that I could ask for.

 I get to work part time.

The reality hasn't really hit me yet.  I'm not sure when it will... maybe it will be when I turn in my letter of resignation from the teaching job that I have known my entire career.  Or maybe it will be the first morning I realize I don't have to wake up and rush... but I can make pancakes for the kids, or snuggle with them in bed a few extra minutes.  Maybe it will be the first day that Kerigan and I get to take a walk in the beautiful fall weather... take picnics to the park... pick Andrew up from school.  The things that seem so simple, but I've rarely had the chance to do.  What I know is, nothing could ever make me happier than getting more time with my children.

So while this new job comes with many mixed emotions... for me, joy is the strongest.  The joy in knowing what's ahead for me is getting to be a mommy more, which is my dream come true, too.
Because ultimately.... they are my dream come true.

"Two hearts...one dream... I wouldn't change it for anything..."

Our family in front of the Bobcat statue inside the Roundhouse... 

We are thrilled to be making this new place our home.  A new beginning for our family.  God has brought us to the place He intended us to be.  And we intend to settle in, relish in that peace, knowing that we are finally home.

Go Bobcats!

Related Posts with Thumbnails